Most current listing of ACA Events can be found on the ACA MeetUp page found here: https://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering-MeetUpMost of the courses, rendezvous and events listed here are offered by ACA instructors, guides and leaders, but the calendar is not limited to ACA events. ACA affiliated local and regional meetups and group events can be posted here providing one source of information that is definitely worth a bookmark.
Events can be viewed as a chronological list or in calendar format.
If you are aware of an ACA affiliated event that is not included in our calendar, please let us know. Submit events to: email@example.com
Please contact the event host directly for details and registration.
- This event has passed.
ACA On Rope Skills Workshop – Descending – SLC
July 23, 2020 @ 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm| Free
Signup for this workshop on the following Meetup page: https://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering-MeetUp/events/wxbfmrybcgbsb/
This is a FREE workshop, open to all ACA-Canyoneering Meetup group and Facebook members.
NOTE: Participation in this workshop is continually at the discretion of the event organizer(s). It is up to each participant to fairly and accurately assess their existing skills to determine whether the topics to be presented and practiced are appropriate for their abilities.
OBJECTIVE: Provide students with the basic personal rappelling and belaying skills needed to descend easy canyons as team members with competent leaders and mentors. If you are seeking more complete training, please consider participating in a course offered by an ACA Certified Instructor/Guide.
Skills to be practiced mostly come from the ACA’s Core (Level 1) Skills Checklist including:
• Controlling speed and braking
• Adding friction and locking off using multiple methods
• Rigging device for correct friction when using various diameters of rope and single or double strand
• Principles and application for bottom belay
• Principles and application for a top belay
• Proper use of a self-belay/auto-block
Items to bring:
• Helmet (meets UIAA standards)
• Descent/Belay Device – Totem, ATS, Pirana, CRITR2 or similar device. No ATCs or other tube-type devices
• 3-4 Locking Screw-Gate Carabiners (HMS, pear-shape preferred)
• 20 feet Tubular Webbing
• 10 feet 6mm or 7mm Cord for Knot Practice
• Quick Link
• Rope, Rope Bag, Edge Protection – If you have it, please bring it.
• 60cm or 120cm sling
Things to Note:
• We will be practicing at height! Skills will be practiced with weighted ropes.
• We will be outside; dress appropriately for anticipated weather – closed-toe shoes, sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, windbreaker/jacket, and whatever else you may need to stay comfortable for the day.
• Bring snacks, water, etc. Bring a portable chair/cushion to sit on. Come prepared to take notes (pen, notebook, camera).
• No +1 RSVPs. If you know someone who would like to attend, please have them join the ACA meetup group and sign up using their own account.
• This event will be canceled if there is inclement weather.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you acknowledge, understand, accept, and agree that: Canyoneering and other outdoor activities can be dangerous and can cause serious bodily injury and possibly death; The organizers of this meetup and current and former members cannot be held responsible or liable in any way for the actions of any participant – including you – at any event; You release and forever discharge the organizers jointly and severally from any actions, causes of actions, claims, damage, loss including death or injury which may be sustained from participating in this Meetup event.
• All attendees are participating at this event at their own risk and are solely responsible for any damage to their property, and/or any injury or loss in whatever form to themselves or their guests.
• By signing up for and/or attending this Meetup event, you affirm that you understand this disclaimer and release and that you knowingly and voluntarily agree not to bring any type of claim including a lawsuit or other action arising out of or related to this Meetup event against the organizers of this Meetup group.